White Noise



Rating 1¾


Directed by Geoffrey Sax


Written by Niall Johnson

Starring Michael Keaton, Deborah Kara Unger, Chandra West, Ian McNeice and Nicholas Elia


When his wife unexpectedly dies, Jonathan Rivers (Michael Keaton) comes into contact with the eccentric Raymond Price (Ian McNeice), who claims to be able to record messages from beyond the grave. At first Jonathan is sceptical, but ultimately he comes to believe his wife is trying to send him a warning and it leads him into deadly danger.

I like Michael Keaton well enough, although his performance here is not one of his most memorable. I enjoyed the first half of the film, the melancholy feel being quite suited to Keaton’s screen persona. However, as the film increasingly began to concentrate on the supernatural thriller/horror storyline I began to lose interest. It didn’t hold my attention and by the time the film’s climax arrived I was reading a newspaper.

I actually watched the sequel, ‘White Noise: The Light’, first, not that it makes much difference. The two films bare little relation to one another beyond the shared title and general theme.

This one gets the thumbs down.




No comments: