The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

...

Rating 3


Directed by Ken Kwapis

Written by Delia Ephron and Elizabeth Chandler, from the novel by Ann Brashares

Starring Amber Tamblyn, America Ferrera, Alexis Bledel, Blake Lively, Jenna Boyd, Bradley Whitford and Nancy Travis


I make no apologises for liking this film. Well, actually, by saying it I am doing just that. This is a film with a specific target audience in mind – and that is most definitely not an old cynic of considerable decrepitude, like me.

‘The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants’ is a coming-of-age story and in some ways it puts me in mind of the 1991 film ‘My Girl’. On this occasion the story concerns four teenage friends, telling their individual but interlocking tales during their summer vacation.

I must admit I found Bridget (Blake Lively) difficult to like until the very end of her story. Equally, the “Greek Tragedy” story of Lena (Alexis Bledel – probably best known for her role in the TV show ‘Gilmore Girls’) is a little bit too “chocolate box” and superficial for me, but that is probably just my in-built cynicism kicking in.

The story of Carmen (America Ferrara – now famous for the TV show ‘Ugly Betty’) works quite well. I must admit I find it hard to accept Bradley Whitford (‘The West Wing’ and ‘Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip’) as her father, but it’s nice to see Nancy Travis again. I like her very much, but it has been a long time since films like ‘The Vanishing’ and ‘I Married An Axe Murderer’.

My favourite story concerns Tibby, played by Amber Tamblyn. Is it actually possible not to like Tamblyn? I find it doubtful. She is a very engaging actor. I must also mention Jenna Boyd (who was just eleven-years-old at the time), in the role of Bailey. She gives a great performance and I have to admit this story left me with a tear in my eye.

The film is schmaltzy and overly sentimental, but it has a big heart, and it’s nice for a change to watch something that doesn’t give in to cynicism, something that is such a trap for us all so much of the time.



...

No comments: