Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer



Rating 2½


Directed by Tim Story


Written by Mark Frost, Don Payne and John Turman, from the original Marvel comic books written by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby

Starring Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, Chris Evans, Michael Chiklis and Julian McMahon


This reminds me of the second ‘Scooby Doo’ film. The first one, like ‘Fantastic Four’, was silly and likeable and didn’t take itself too seriously. The sequel, however, doesn’t seem to quite know what to do and ends up just ladling on a whole lot of extra special effects, at the expense of most of the things that made the first film so surprisingly good.

The story is okay – and for once London actually looks reasonably authentic, as opposed to the laughable parody we are usually treated to. The Silver Surfer is quite effective. Not being a comic book reader, I am not affected by whether or not he is an accurate portrayal of the original comic book character. Once again, Jessica Alba’s acting didn’t overwhelm me. Maybe I am being overly critical.

I quite enjoyed it, but I don’t think I would rush to watch a third film, if one were in the offing.



No comments: