Haunted Honeymoon

...

Rating 2½


Directed by Gene Wilder

Written by Gene Wilder and Terence Marsh

Starring Gene Wilder, Gilda Radner, Dom DeLuise and Jonathan Pryce


I know this is pretty much a terrible film that pretty much fails in almost everything it tries to do and falls completely flat, but I’ve loved it from the very first time I ever watched it, which I am guessing must have been not far short of twenty years ago.

A big part of the reason for this is simply that the film pays homage to ‘The Old Dark House’, ‘The Cat And The Canary’ and ‘The Ghostbreakers’. The latter two, in particular, are favourite films of mine. There is also the nod to Orson Welles and the Mercury Theatre. I would not call myself a huge fan of Gene Wilder, but I do have a soft spot for him. However, the really compelling reason for liking the film, the big attraction for me, is the presence of the wonderful Gilda Radner, Wilder's wife, in her final film role before her early death.

‘Haunted Honeymoon’ is a pale shadow when compared to the classic ‘Young Frankenstein’, the film that it probably most resembles, but I just find it very likeable – and Wilder is clearly fond of the material he parodies. I can identify its myriad of faults, not least of which is some sloppy writing and direction by Wilder, but I’ve watched it many times over the years and I never fail to enjoy it.



...

No comments: